Accelerator-Free Nitrile Exam Gloves – A Better Alternative

Posted by Stephanie - April 18, 2011 - Accelerator Free Gloves, Medical Gloves - 9 Comments
No Accelerators

As hospitals and other healthcare facilities have increasingly moved from latex exam gloves to nitrile exam gloves, skin irritation and allergy to non-latex gloves has also increased. To identify individuals with hypersensitivity to nitrile gloves, a new skin prick test has been developed by Dr. Santhosh Kumar of Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond. “If the patient is positive,” says, Dr. Kumar, “we tell them to avoid nitrile gloves,” and he recommends vinyl gloves as an option.

While vinyl gloves may be an option in some circumstances, they lack the elastic quality of nitrile and latex gloves, and do not provide the same level of protection. For instance, vinyl gloves are not approved for handling chemotherapy drugs. So are vinyl gloves the only option for workers that are sensitive to nitrile gloves?

Much research has been done over the past decade into the cause of skin irritation and allergy to non-latex gloves. Studies have shown that the sulfur-based chemical accelerators commonly used in the production of nitrile and other non-latex gloves can cause type IV allergy. A new generation of nitrile gloves is now available – gloves free of these chemical accelerators. The new gloves may be a more acceptable alternative to traditional nitrile gloves for many healthcare workers and others that must wear hand protection.

HandPRO FreeStyle1100 Nitrile Exam Gloves are made from this new, purer nitrile formulation, and are accelerator free.  These gloves offer wearers the comfort they expect from a nitrile exam glove, as well as improved strength and a better wet grip.

9 comments

• Padma says:

I am a chemistry grad student with nitrile glove allergy. I tried different things including wearing latex gloves under nitrile gloves to no avail. Is it possible that I am allergic to both latex and nitrile? In that case would wearing accelerator free nitrile gloves even help?Please help.

• Jennifer says:

My mother wears gloves in her profession and has over the years developed allergies to latex, nitrile, and vinyl gloves. I bought her a case of the freestyle 1100 accelerator free gloves. At first she was fine but before the case was used up, she developed an allergy to these as well. Is there any other option out there?

• Stephanie says:

Hi, Jennifer. Because her skin continues to react, I would suspect that she is allergic to something other than (or in addition to) sulfur-based accelerators. I would recommend skin patch allergy testing if she hasn’t had it done already. Some individuals are sensitive to dyes. Once you know exactly what she is reacting to, you can check the manufacturer’s Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for a glove to find out if it is free of the chemicals that she is allergic to. I hope you and your mom are able to eventually find a solution. Thank you for trying FreeStyle1100.

• Matt says:

hi

i have ezema and over the past year i have been getting flare ups on my hands.
    so ive been to a dermatologist and recently discovered im allergic to thiuram. and the suspected source is from the gloves i wear at work to protect my hands from dirt/oil as im a mechanic.

please could you suggest any glove producs free from this chemical and where my work could source them from. thank you

• Linda says:

I am a teacher and I copy and handle a lot of laser printed papers. I have recently found out that I have an allergy to phenylenediamine which is a chemical in the ink. What type of glove can I use when working with paper?

• Stephanie says:

Hi, Linda.

As I cannot give medical advice, your physician may be the best source of information on what products you should avoid. I can tell you that p-Phenylenediamine is not listed on any of the Material Safety Data Sheets for our products. I understand that p-Phenylenediamine is commonly found in dark hair dyes and inks. In this Patient Info Sheet from T.R.U.E.Test, it advises individuals with this allergy to wear “protective gloves” such as synthetic rubber (nitrile) or vinyl.

• Todd says:

My concern is not only with gloves but all medical devices catheters iv tubing.

Perhaps dandelion latex will be the answer